A simple baby boy quilt!

I finished up the quilt I’ve been working on.  After I finish this post I’m off to pick out fabrics for my next one.  It will be the very first quilt I make with no specific recipient in mind.  I’m thinking it’s time to start building an “inventory” and perhaps one day an etsy shop?  It’s hard for me to make that leap.

Anyhow, here is the finished baby boy quilt!  It measures 45″ x 60″ which has become my standard size for a baby quilt.  I know that’s big, but I feel like the use it will get can last longer if it’s big enough to cover a toddler, as well as a baby!

Simple Squares Baby Boy Quilt

Simple Squares Baby Boy Quilt - Close up

What will I do when there is no more Katie Jump Rope to be found?!?  I need to seriously stock up before it disappears from all shops…   I find it to be a staple that I return to over and over again. I am yet to find another fabric line that has so many fabrics that work perfectly for men & boys. Anyone have any suggestions?

The back:

Simple Squares Baby Boy Quilt - Back

Simple Squares Baby Boy Quilt - Back detail

And since everyone loves a give away, I wanted to mention this one over at See Katie Sew.  Who doesn’t want a load of free fabric?!?

22 Responses to “A simple baby boy quilt!”

1. Marla November 1, 2008 at 5:34 pm #

Love this one too :-)

2. Cate November 1, 2008 at 5:59 pm #

Wow – this looks great! I really love the back on this one too.

3. Katie November 1, 2008 at 6:18 pm #

It’s soo cute! Katie Jump rope is my go to boy fabric too. Someone seriously needs to come out with some good fabrics for boys. Oh, one that I do like is one from Prints Charming. It has really cute rockets.

4. MichelleB November 1, 2008 at 6:32 pm #

It is adorable! Tell me, where do shop locally (in the Los Angeles area)? Although, as big as L.A. is, local for you will probably not be local for me! LOL

5. mommymae November 1, 2008 at 7:27 pm #

i agree about the katie jump rope fabric. i’m stashing for my virtual bee and have found that those are great for what i have in mind for my son. i need yellow, orange, turquoise and brown. and i’d rather not use flowers. funny that it’s named “katie” jump rope and is so great for males.

6. Dallas November 1, 2008 at 7:47 pm #

It looks great. I love all the fabrics you chose.

7. Tricia November 1, 2008 at 8:00 pm #

You sure inspired me with this post! I hopped right on over to etsy and bought a ton of Katie Jump Rope fat quarters! Nothing like the panic inspired by discontinued fabric to get your heart racing!

By the way, I love the full-view pictures that you put up on your blog! A lot of blogs give just the tiniest glimpse, the smallest peek at their quilts…which is great to see some of the fabric pieces close-up but leaves you craving a picture of the whole thing.
    Tricia

8. Carrie November 2, 2008 at 6:37 am #

I love the simplicity of color and design in this quilt! Very sweet. Have you seen Moda’s “1974″? I think there are several prints with simple graphics that are gender-neutral. I’m currently working on another zigzag quilt from a 1974 charm pack.

9. Tina November 2, 2008 at 10:31 am #

Maybe we all ought to start a letter writing campaign about KJR….Everyone loves it! Can’t they just print more? I think Cia’s Pallette still has quite a bit of it.

This is a beautiful quilt, and I like bigger baby quilts too! Very nice job.

Tina

10. Shelly November 2, 2008 at 1:33 pm #

The quilt turned out perfect! I think it’s the prefect size.

11. jennifer November 2, 2008 at 5:18 pm #

i’m with you on larger sized baby quilts. babies need some rolling, scooting, and crawling room! later, babies want to watch movies under their quilts, even though they are 17 years old.

12. Kristen November 2, 2008 at 6:14 pm #

I am in awe of your prolificness (if that’s a word)!

13. Elizabeth November 3, 2008 at 12:06 am #

Your quilt turned out great! I especially love the back. Thanks for the reminder about Katie Jump Rope. I’m still having a hard time adjusting to the fact that my Flea Market Fancy supply is almost gone. I’m really hoping this means she’ll be coming out with a new and fabulous line soon!

14. Ashley November 3, 2008 at 6:38 am #

Hi Alissa! Another beautiful quilt! I love all the blues, as well as the mix of patterns and solids.
    I’m with you on the KJR – now I’m wondering if I stocked up enough (how much is enough, anyway?!)…

15. Sarah November 3, 2008 at 8:47 am #

Love it! I’m with you on the challenge of building up an inventory and taking the leap to having an Etsy store. You can do it!

16. Amy November 3, 2008 at 8:53 am #

Perfectly lovely! I keep kicking myself in the arse for not getting the Heather Ross prints in blue as well as pinks (or whites).

17. Amy @ parkcitygirl November 3, 2008 at 9:58 am #

simple is so good! I love the fabrics :)

18. anina November 3, 2008 at 11:46 am #

C-ute! I love the simplicity.

19. Allison November 3, 2008 at 7:29 pm #

Hi, I have a question, since you do alot of quilts with white sashing, I was wondering what kind of batting you use? I used warm and natural white on one with white sashing, and it seemed like I couldn’t see my seams through the white fabric as easily? But I just finished one with white sashing and used a different neutral covered batting, like most of them are, and it seems like I can see my seems really easily through the white. What kind of white fabric do you use also? Mine is a medium-heavy weight Country Classics that I really like, but it just seems like I notice my seems through the top more than anyone else’s! One more question, do you use cotton thread when you quilt or polyester? I’ve been using polyester and it seems fine, it just seems like lots of people say to only use cotton? Polyester is SO much cheaper which is another huge plus! Anyways thanks alot I LOVE your quilts! Allison jollyrencher@gmail.com

20. Rebekah November 4, 2008 at 2:06 pm #

This is beautiful! I love your quilting on this :)

21. Roseanne November 5, 2008 at 12:34 am #

This quilt so cut. Love the colours. Some lucky baby boy a real keep sake. I am just looking around at other blogs

22. Jill December 10, 2008 at 7:20 pm #

I know what you mean about the Katie Jump Rope fabric I love it! I have been searching for the orange basket weave fabric I love it! I found your blog through Pink Chalk Studio – you have a great blog!