A tote and some chit chat.

My mother is coming to town for Thanksgiving and gets here tomorrow.  I finally got around to making her the tote that she requested the last time I saw her.  I only get to see her about once a year, so it’s not like I didn’t have time!

Nice and simple:

Linen tote

My mom is a Zen Buddhist priest (yup!) so keeping it nice and simple and slightly Japanese-ish was the way to go. This was my first time working with linen and boy am I in love! I see much more working with it in my future…

Linen Tote - close up

I got lots and lots of replies about where to get a whole bolt of kona cotton and batting. The consensus on batting was that Joann’s with the 40% off was the way to go. The cotton got more complicated… there were many replies – thank you everyone! While Joann’s with the 40% off was mentioned as well, there were also other sites. I haven’t had the chance to check out all them, so I’ll just list them here:

I need to take the time to look through them!

Lastly, Ashley is having a lovely give away over at her blog, Film in The Fridge. It’s such a great blog and what great stuff she made! AND some fabric! You can’t beat that!!

11 Responses to “A tote and some chit chat.”

1. jacquie November 19, 2008 at 6:55 pm #

very pretty. i worked with linen for the first time a while ago too…i loved it! it’s so nice that your mom is coming for the holiday. she’s going to love this bag.

2. Sheila November 19, 2008 at 7:28 pm #

I love the tote very Zen. I love simple it lets the design and fabrics speak for themselves. I haven’t worked with linen in years and forgot how great it is. I think I need to get back into it. Thanks for the inspiration.

3. Lee-Anne Gilbert November 20, 2008 at 12:52 am #

Very nice bag Alissa… Zen Buddhist hey?? Love it!! Enjoy the time with your Mum… Lx

4. Stephanie November 20, 2008 at 4:36 am #

Beautiful. I recently worked with osnaburg and love it.

5. Carrie November 20, 2008 at 6:45 am #

Nice bag. I love linen too, it just makes the printed fabric pop. If you haven’t seen it, check out the flickr “Sewing with Linen” group. Amazing stuff. Enjoy the time with your mom and happy Thanksgiving too.

6. Ashley November 20, 2008 at 7:35 am #

Great bag – I love it with the linen. I’m dying to make something with linen, but haven’t found any I like around here. Thanks for the link to my blog!

7. Amy @ parkcitygirl November 20, 2008 at 9:39 am #

Have fun with your mom! She’s sure to love that tote :)

8. Tina November 20, 2008 at 9:58 am #

Lovely! Very zen. I love grey and indigo together. She’ll love it.

Tina

9. Beth November 21, 2008 at 2:14 pm #

What a lovely bag. You mom is a very lucky woman.

10. amandajean November 22, 2008 at 11:00 am #

i have a love hate relationship with linen. have fun with your mom!

11. Sandy November 24, 2008 at 7:06 pm #

The bag is beautiful. Have a wonderful holiday with your mother. I, too, only see my mother about once a year … we live on opposite Coast.