Crocheting?

Crocheting!

I have never been able to tackle crocheting.  I’ve knit a ton, but somehow couldn’t get my head around crocheting on my own.  But I took a great class with Cheryl Cambras at Home Ec. the other night and for the first time, it clicked!  I might be hooked.  (Oh what a bad crocheting pun!)

Here’s the cute little bird I made! Please forgive those few weird stitches on his belly. I’m not caring seeing as it’s the very first time I’ve ever crocheted. I crochet CRAZY tightly apparently. I literally had to focus on doing it looser. Weird.

Birdy

Can’t wait to start the next little project but meanwhile it’s back to quilting all day today. That Christmas deadline is looming! Hope you’re all getting your Christmas presents done in time!

22 Responses to “Crocheting?”

1. Ruth December 17, 2009 at 9:13 am #

I crochetted crazy tight when I first learned, too. I eventually learned to crochet more loosely by going fast, strangely enough. My faster stitches tended to be looser and then I worked backward so that my slower stitches were the same.

You birdy is super cute! Now I want to crochet…

2. Audrie December 17, 2009 at 9:26 am #

Cute birdie!! I hadn’t crocheted since I was 12 and I tried last year and failed miserably lol It’s on my list of things I need to learn properly for sure.

As for the Christmas pressies, I’m so excited that I can actually see the end in sight! :)

3. cheryl December 17, 2009 at 9:36 am #

WOO!! Awesome, Alissa! That chick has so much personality. Fantastic job! Love love love it! And loved having you in the class.

4. Cate December 17, 2009 at 9:52 am #

Hello Mr. Chick! How are you today?

5. Elizabeth December 17, 2009 at 10:08 am #

Yaaaaay!!! Learning to crochet is one of my goals for 2010, so I’m excited to see someone else trying it for the first time too. Your little bird is awesome!

6. amy ( sewamy) December 17, 2009 at 11:18 am #

omg, he is so cute.

7. Crystal December 17, 2009 at 11:34 am #

Cute!! Yes Crocheting is completely addicting!! That bird looks cute!

8. J. December 17, 2009 at 11:39 am #

Hi Alissa! I’ve always loved crocheting more than knitting for some reason. (And I love bad puns, hee!) :) Congrats on your chic chick!

9. Amy (badskirt) December 17, 2009 at 12:24 pm #

Hooray for Crochet! I’m an addict now because it’s a portable craft while I go to work. I’m crazy tight crocheter too. I’ve been compensating with a smaller hook and less ply yarn!

Check out the free crochet patterns on ravelry. There are quite a few easy ones to dig into!

10. Karen N December 17, 2009 at 12:41 pm #

Your bird twittered to me that he would like a family. LOL.

11. robin (rsislandcrafts) December 17, 2009 at 1:22 pm #

Your chick is adorable. Congrats on figuring out how to crochet. If you crochet too tight, try going up a hook size. For little stuffies it really doesn’t matter if it comes out a bit bigger than the original pattern calls for.

12. Kate December 17, 2009 at 1:29 pm #

Yah for the hook! Just started myself and few weeks ago and LOVE it!

13. AngryKimchi December 17, 2009 at 1:30 pm #

I love crochet over knitting like 10x more. I can do both, but knitting just takes so long for me and if I mess up…it’s just a bad thing. Crochet I can go back I know how to add, subtract stitches easily.

You definitely need to check out tjw1963 on Youtube! She is the only reason crochet stuck with me, she makes it so easy. Check her out!

14. megan n December 17, 2009 at 3:04 pm #

good on you Alissa. I love visiting ‘Attic24′ for crocheting inspiration. She has some very easy tutorials to follow.
    I am currently crocheting together a “Babette blanket”. I am sure you would love it (very patchworky, inspired by Kaffe) The pattern can be found at “Ravelry”, which is a great website full of info and patterns.
    Hook on!

15. CitricSugar December 17, 2009 at 10:38 pm #

Picking up an new craft is always satisfying. And your tension will come with practice. I prefer to knit now but I could crochet long before I could knit and it has given me tons of joy. Best of luck!! That chick is so cute!

16. The Girl December 18, 2009 at 4:22 am #

He’s ace! I’m going to attempt crocheting in the New Year, got a couple of friends who have possibly foolishly agreed to teach me. I predict many crochet trantrums along the way!

17. Vicki December 18, 2009 at 9:42 am #

That’s a cute little guy! I have the same problem with stitches being too tight except mine’s with knitting! I wonder if it relates to which one a person learns first?

18. Aimee December 18, 2009 at 2:05 pm #

I just had a friend of mine give me a little crocheting lesson last week and I had the same tight stitching problem. I was so sure that everything would just fall apart if I loosened up at all. She just kept telling me that it will get better the more I practice…I haven’t practiced since then. Maybe after Christmas.

19. Tif December 18, 2009 at 9:27 pm #

what a sweet little one! and a great little break, i am sure. i haven’t gotten the swing of crocheting either. i knit as well and when i only have one needle i feel a little lopsided!

20. Kate December 21, 2009 at 5:02 am #

What a sweet little bird. can’t wait to see the christmas projects you are working on. i am sure they are beautiful.

21. Shasta December 23, 2009 at 2:15 pm #

What an adorable bird! All I learned was how to do a granny square. But yeah, I had problem with tight stitches too.

22. sew katie did December 26, 2009 at 2:27 pm #

I use to crochet all the time. I don’t need another addiction added to my fabric purchasing. I’m sure you’ve seen Attic 21 blog. Love the colors and the flowers. Also want that 200 blocks book.