Daunting.

Basting

So much quilt to baste!

33 Responses to “Daunting.”

1. Corrie October 28, 2009 at 8:09 am #

WOW! How big is that quilt? It looks huge! I think this might be my favorite out of all your quilts. I absolutely love it! BTW, can’t wait for the block party quilt along to begin!

2. Kama October 28, 2009 at 8:58 am #

Oh, I love it! That’s awesome!

3. P. October 28, 2009 at 9:07 am #

Oh, this is just gorgeous! I want to know everything about it; those fabrics are awesome! My all-time favorite colors too. I am totally in love with this quilt!

4. Live a Colorful Life October 28, 2009 at 9:10 am #

It’s gorgeous. Like a big beautiful puzzle. But basting it? Ugh–that HAS to be my least favorite part of quilting. Good luck with that…it will all be worth it when it is quilted.

5. Jamie October 28, 2009 at 9:15 am #

But such a beautiful quilt! I’m sure you can’t wait until it’s finished. I’ve got some Lantern Bloom at home waiting for a project.

6. josie October 28, 2009 at 9:43 am #

I hate basting. Really i is the one thing that could put me off quilting. I know how lame that is but dang there has to be an easier way! Good luck however long it takes you’ll have a beautiful quilt at the end.

7. Heather October 28, 2009 at 9:45 am #

Your quilt is beautiful, I’ve been meaning to tell you that :) I baste my quilts like you do, I like to put on movies while I am basting, it helps a lot, then I like to lay down on the couch half way through to stretch my back out! LOL!

When you baste, do you use the tool Kwik Klip? http://www.paulajeancreations.com/kwik-klip.html
    to help you close the pins? it’s a lifesaver, I can’t live without mine.

8. Stephanie October 28, 2009 at 9:50 am #

It is soooo gonna rock when you’re done, though!

9. Isa October 28, 2009 at 9:52 am #

It looks great! Can’t wait to see it quilted

10. marielle October 28, 2009 at 10:17 am #

wow that is a stunning quilt. I love the larger scale prints.

I too use a tool for closing the pins for basting – a broken off bamboo skewer. LOL Just means more money for fabric.

11. Madison October 28, 2009 at 11:44 am #

Beautiful quilt, but I’m with you, I hate basting. When is someone going to come up with the Quilt Basting Fairy?

12. Jen Eskidge October 28, 2009 at 12:12 pm #

At least you don’t have to re-pin or (more likely) trim those tiny bits of carpet that get caught in the safety pins. :) Its going to looks awesome.

13. Hillary October 28, 2009 at 12:19 pm #

At least you’re doing it! I haven’t even made it that far on my last quilt!

14. betsy October 28, 2009 at 12:58 pm #

It is beautiful though. Well worth the time basting.

15. Crystal October 28, 2009 at 1:34 pm #

I don’t envy your basting that quilt, but it will look sooo beautiful when it is done!! :D You always do great work.

16. Tonya October 28, 2009 at 2:09 pm #

Basting is my least favorite part. I put it off forever, until I have to do it. I love this quilt, it has so much personality. Are you keeping it?

17. CitricSugar October 28, 2009 at 2:17 pm #

Basting just goes with the territory. My pin closer of choice is the teaspoon – works like a charm. If only I had a pin opener…

The quilt is divinely beautiful – can’t wait to see how you quilt it!

18. wishes, true and kind October 28, 2009 at 2:36 pm #

Basting is one of my least favorite parts of making a quilt.

19. wishes, true and kind October 28, 2009 at 2:39 pm #

Thanks for the Bonzie link. What an incredible shop!

20. Leonie October 28, 2009 at 2:59 pm #

Worth it in the end though!

21. jen October 28, 2009 at 4:18 pm #

its sooo beautiful though it will be fun to see the finishing process of your hard work

22. Lori October 28, 2009 at 4:59 pm #

Love it! Bee-u-tee-ful!
    But, I *love* the pin basting. Sometimes, I feel as if it’s the most powerful hips, buns and thigh workout there is, using good form that is!
    Will you hand quilt it?

23. Kris October 28, 2009 at 5:13 pm #

everytime I see this quilt I fall in love! I can’t imagine quilting it but I’m sure you’ll do great!

24. Jackie October 28, 2009 at 5:32 pm #

Love it! But before you know it, it will all be basted and quilted. Voila, you will have a quilt.

25. Karen October 29, 2009 at 6:20 am #

This is gorgeous!! I love your mix of patterns and solids.

26. jacquie October 29, 2009 at 6:45 am #

did someone really say basting is their favorite part? my knees hurt just looking at the picture!

27. Janet October 29, 2009 at 9:46 am #

…and this is why I use basting spray! I admire anyone who has the patience to attach so many saftey pins. also hand sewing the back of the binding…I have no patience for that either.

28. jaybird October 29, 2009 at 4:50 pm #

& this would be my #1 reason i love my frame… i stick myself too much with those pins!!

29. staci October 30, 2009 at 8:49 am #

Beautiful!!

30. amandajean October 30, 2009 at 9:21 am #

i wish i could come and help! :)

31. Claire October 31, 2009 at 5:23 pm #

I feel your pain for basting….my solution, after two oversized queen quilts, no more…my other solution: basting adhesive spray (I found some at Jo-Ann’s for about $10 and good for several queen quilts), my best friend…works great, but you really have to take your time to made sure you don’t end up with a couple wrinkles in the middle of the quilt.

Well good luck with the basting.

32. Lori November 2, 2009 at 4:09 pm #

For those using basting spray, does it really work for hand quilting, you know all the handling it receives?

33. Mary on Lake Pulaski November 6, 2009 at 7:40 pm #

It’s looking so great! Love this quilt.