Embracing Gray.

That’s certainly what I did with this quilt, so that’s what I’m calling it.  It’s on our bed and staying there!  I love it and so does my husband.  Not girly at all this one… I really like the simple graphic nature of this quilt. I offset the columns a bit giving it an asymmetry that I’m loving.

Embracing Gray

The fabrics? Konas Medium Gray, Coal, Charcoal, and the RK Gray Quilters Linen (which I LOVE by the way) are all in there.  The background is Kona Ash.  And then the yellow is a Kona as well – it’s Butterscotch.  The one patterned fabric is a Heather Baily print.

Embracing Gray

I pieced together a back with the remaining fabric.

Embracing Gray - Back

It’s already being enjoyed by everyone!

Embracing Gray being enjoyed

As a side note – thanks for all of your comments on straight line quilting. It’s clearly a topic that a lot of people are thinking about.  Moving my quilting in different directions is something that I’m eager to do and I feel I might surrender to some long arm classes… I am tiring of stippling, and am not very attracted to many other simple free motion patterns.  Straight lines really appeal to me though and the options are endless, but impossible to achieve well on my machine.  I’m all about making quilts at home from start to finish, but at a certain point there are limitations… I just know the second I go and try long arming one of my quilts I’ll be ruined and never want to quilt a quilt on my home machine again.  What to do? Oh the trials and tribulations of a quilting obsession!

36 Responses to “Embracing Gray.”

1. liveacolorfullife September 9, 2010 at 9:18 am #

The colors in this quilt are fabulous. Ummm,I SO love the gray walls!

2. Katie September 9, 2010 at 9:32 am #

I love how the quilt loks being used in your room. Gorgeous. I have resisted long-arm quilting for the same reasons as you!!

3. Krista - Poppyprint September 9, 2010 at 9:34 am #

That is a fab quilt! I love it and it is perfect for a mod bedroom! The butterscotch is a stroke of genius. I hear you on the quilting dilemma, it is nice to be able to do it all on your own at home…I’ve lost my fm quilting mojo with a new machine that doesn’t do as good a job as my old one (that I sold), so my quilt tops are piling up around me!

4. Char September 9, 2010 at 10:08 am #

Great quilt! Love the gray.

5. Lori September 9, 2010 at 10:12 am #

It looks amazing in your room, particularly with those sweet “models”.

6. Corinne September 9, 2010 at 10:17 am #

Have you seen the sit freemotionquilting.blogspot.com ? She’s all about different quilting designs and does it all on a domestic machine.

7. JaiCi September 9, 2010 at 10:23 am #

I am usually not a fan of gray – but I LOVE the orange with it :)

8. CitricSugar September 9, 2010 at 10:31 am #

I love it – some of my favourite colours and I combine them whenever possible… I just adore how this quilt turned out!

9. krista September 9, 2010 at 10:56 am #

It looks great! Do you have someone local who rents out time on their longarm machine? That sounds like a great option.

10. Debra September 9, 2010 at 11:28 am #

Love this!

11. Doris September 9, 2010 at 12:34 pm #

Loving the soothing colors, Alissa. Peaceful and gorgeous…

12. Jacque. September 9, 2010 at 2:12 pm #

Alissa. I am seeing more and more quilts that are made from (mostly) solids, and I must say, I am going to have to try one. I think your color combination is spot on. Looks fantastic!

13. Beth Lehman September 9, 2010 at 2:52 pm #

i love this and am so glad you posted today – i’m changing up my latest idea for a quilt into something more like this with some hope valley.

14. leigh September 9, 2010 at 3:24 pm #

I love it! A lot!

15. mamaark September 9, 2010 at 3:53 pm #

I LOVE that Quilters’ Linen. I just some in combo with AMH voile. So soft and what a perfect colour. Fantastic finish!

You know, your other solution could be a new machine…

16. becca September 9, 2010 at 4:03 pm #

just stunning!! and I love the back just as much as the front!!

17. Debbie-Esch House Quilts September 9, 2010 at 4:21 pm #

Great quilt! I love the colors and the addition of the Nicey Jane to break up all the solids a bit.

18. Vicki W September 9, 2010 at 5:01 pm #

I love the gray with that bit of peach. It’s wonderful!

19. Jean Etheridge September 9, 2010 at 5:15 pm #

The quilt is great, but I love, love, love the pug!

20. Theresa September 9, 2010 at 5:53 pm #

I love how your furry family members match this quilt. Lovely quilt.

21. Jan September 9, 2010 at 5:53 pm #

Outstanding.

22. diane September 9, 2010 at 6:43 pm #

I love the picture with the color coordinated cat and dog and window flowers. Good job.

23. kellie September 9, 2010 at 10:46 pm #

This is exactly the quilt I want to make for our bedroom, which will shortly be painted in a colour very similar to Kona Ash with white trim. Fabulous!!!

24. kellie September 9, 2010 at 10:48 pm #

re the quilting – perhaps you might be able to find somewhere relatively local that rents out time on a long arm? That way you can still do the quilting yourself but without having to buy a longarm machine (and find room for it!!).

25. moira September 10, 2010 at 3:47 am #

I think this quilt is just beautiful :)

26. Margaret September 10, 2010 at 6:26 am #

I love this quilt – the colors are wonderful, it’s quiet and peaceful but has a hint of bold.

27. Bonnie September 10, 2010 at 9:27 am #

Oh my goodness, I cannot even tell you how much I love this quilt! Usually I am a loud brigt colour kind of girl but there is just *something* about this one!

28. Rachel at Stitched in Color September 10, 2010 at 9:44 am #

I too wish I could do straight lines quilting effectively on my machine. With my last quilt, I gave up and hand quilted. I loved the outcome, but it was not what I really had wanted. I wish there was a good (non expensive) home solution!

29. amandajean September 10, 2010 at 11:03 am #

beautiful quilt, Alissa. love the color combo. that kona ash is something special, isn’t it?

30. Teri September 10, 2010 at 1:27 pm #

I love this color combination. I tend to only use straight lines when I am finishing my quilts but hope to someday to try free motion quilting. I tend to really love quilting the straight lines, it’s strangely soothing to me.

31. Amanda Elizabeth September 10, 2010 at 2:33 pm #

I love the grays…it’s my all time favorite color! If you ever come up north, there are a few great long arm instructors I can suggest to you! I’ve been debating it lately but my machine is a larger harp so I feel kinda guilty…
    also, I’m incredibly jealous of your windows, do some of them open inward?! I know..bizarre-o comment ;)

32. Paula September 10, 2010 at 4:03 pm #

Fantastic quilt. Love the choice of colors and the heather Bailey print is one of my favorites. Really love…love the Pug!

33. Within A Quarter Inch September 11, 2010 at 12:36 pm #

Totally awesome!

34. Mary on Lake Pulaski September 11, 2010 at 8:46 pm #

Great quilt.
    And yes regarding quilting, what IS a quilting obsessed person to do?

35. Amelia September 12, 2010 at 1:41 am #

I love gray and it looks so good with that yellow! Fantastic quilt!

36. Larri at Seams Inspired September 13, 2010 at 5:05 am #

I’m seeing lots of gray and yellow color combos this year. I was undecided about the two together until I saw your fabulous quilt! :)
    PS…Thanks for the gorgeous fabrics! I featured them in a post today. Happy Monday! :)
    Larri at Seams Inspired