Gene Kelly Craft Along

It started over on twitter… just one mention of loving Gene Kelly and there was instantly a chorus of people agreeing and a suggestion of a Gene Kelly Craft Along!  Who am I to say no to a combination of two things I love?? Gene Kelly and crafting?? I’m IN!

Gene Kelly

Gene Kelly is my all time favorite movie star ever. There’s just something about his natural charisma and his amazing dancing (and ok  – I admit it, his dreamy good looks don’t hurt!) that just works for me. I have also always been a lover of classic films and many of the musicals that Gene Kelly was a part of are simply amazing film making. (Let’s ignore Xanadu, ok??) Singing in the Rain, An American in Paris, On the Town… I just love them all!

Now HOW to make a quilt that’s inspired by him?!? This is admittedly daunting but I’m gonna give it a shot! My love for GK runs too deep to not join in the craft along! The others joining in (so far!) are Sister Diane, Marlo, Rachel, Stacie, and Tara.

Why don’t YOU join us too?? No rules, no deadlines, no difficult obligations! It’s just all about expressing the GK love through your craft!  Here’s the flickr group so that we can all enjoy the crafty goodness that is certain to result from a Gene Kelly Craft Along!!

12 Responses to “Gene Kelly Craft Along”

1. Dan August 23, 2011 at 11:19 pm #

I’ve never seen that top picture before — fantastic! The smile, the background stripes, that sweater, those guns… I can’t stand it.

2. Kirsty August 23, 2011 at 11:25 pm #

Man, I love Xanadu, it’s so bad it’s good again. I can’t imagine any actress turning down that role once she realised she’d get to dance with GK. Love these photos too, he was a dreamboat.

3. Lesly August 24, 2011 at 5:24 am #

Oh I agree – he has always been my favourite! Brigadoon! Les Girls! Singing in the Rain! What could I make that would be Gene-worthy? I may have to admire your efforts from afar.

4. Becky M August 24, 2011 at 5:26 am #

Oh swoon! I love Gene Kelly too! Can’t wait to see what you guys come up with!

5. Asiyah August 24, 2011 at 7:20 am #

Just joined on Flickr…this will be challenging but fun!

6. mamaark August 24, 2011 at 7:27 am #

Hysterical! And yes, so dreamy.

7. Etta August 24, 2011 at 8:36 am #

Seeing this post in my google reader this morning took my breath away. My husband and I are expecting our first child in October. His name? Gene (after my grandpa) Kelly (after my husband). My husband has no idea who the actor Gene Kelly is, though. :P

I made a quilt back in college for my first-born child (wasn’t even engaged when I started it!) that I may have to post. :)

8. Erin August 24, 2011 at 11:40 am #

i have to give this a try. My grandmother once danced with Gene Kelly. I’ve heard that story on more than one occasion :) I know why too, what a handsome man ♥

9. Rebecca Lynne August 24, 2011 at 2:04 pm #

Wow I was Just thinking about GK yesterday. Weird, must be a vibe in the air. He has a pretty inspiring story. Can’t wait to see what you create!

10. Jennifer Can Quilt August 24, 2011 at 3:14 pm #

hubba hubba!!!!!!!!

11. Susanne August 28, 2011 at 7:06 am #

WOW! Great images to get inspired by…can’t wait to see what you come up with, you know, in all that spare time of yours! ;-)

12. pat sloan September 3, 2011 at 5:25 am #

What a COOL challenge… maybe I’ll jump in…. I think we should bring Gene back… seriously… couldn’t we use another Gene or two right now in the world? I’d just like to have him sitting in the living room.. wink!