Getting into the swing of things…

Today Gabe is 13 days old and I feel like things are starting to settle down! I’m managing to get into the sewing room a little and I know that with a bit more time I’ll find myself there more and more. That makes me very happy as I got very little sewing done over the past few months. The combo of being pregnant and having the full time job just wiped me out too much. (By the way,  the best part of having Gabe other than Gabe himself?? I’m not pregnant anymore! Hurray! So great to feel more like myself in my body again.)

I got the next round of the Traveling Quilts bee done yesterday. This one is for Ashley. I received this pieced panel from Amber:

Traveling quilts - Ashley
(Photo by Amber)

Ashley wants the focus of her quilt to be improv piecing, but I thought there was a need for it to breath some… So I added some borders, one of which included a bit of improv-ing in it.

Traveling Quilts

Hope Ashley likes the direction I’ve gone in!

18 Responses to “Getting into the swing of things…”

1. Missy June 19, 2012 at 11:01 am #

Love the picture w/ the borders and little Gabe admiring from below. Congratulations Alissa!

• Jenny June 19, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

I didn’t even notice him! Thanks for pointing him out. Too busy checking out the quilt . . . .

2. ann June 19, 2012 at 11:49 am #

Ugh I hate you! I’m 38 weeks, it’s 95°f where I live, and the ob-gyn told me yesterday at the last appointment it doesn’t look like I’m gonna get an early birth! I can’t WAIT to have my body back! (and my baby girl of course!)

3. Dan Rouse June 19, 2012 at 11:51 am #

The borders look great. The improv bits really pop. And such a handsome model!

4. Jenny June 19, 2012 at 12:09 pm #

Aren’t you clever, because I agree that’s exactly what the quilt needed! P.S. I have three more weeks ’til I get to have my body back. The last bit is so uncomfortable — now I can’t even sleep so I woke up at 3 and sewed.

5. Kell June 19, 2012 at 12:24 pm #

Borders were a great choice for some breathing room! Gabe is growing so fast!! Being pregnant was enjoyable for me, but I have to admit, it was nice to only have me inside of me, you know. ;)

6. ashley June 19, 2012 at 1:02 pm #

I love what you’ve added. The borders are perfect (and to be honest, I was hoping that someone would add a bit of solid space to this quilt!) And of course I love that Gabe is just hanging out under the quilt… what a cutie!

7. Audrie June 19, 2012 at 1:58 pm #

Love the border you added! Amazed that you’ve found time to sew… kudos! He’s so cute just hanging out with momma while she sews :)

8. Debbie-Esch House Quilts June 19, 2012 at 3:28 pm #

I totally agree about the quilt needing a bit of room to breathe – your borders look amazing! Gabe looks adorable hanging out near your design wall :)

9. Sarah from habibtiathome June 19, 2012 at 6:27 pm #

I love the direction you took the borders, calms it down a lot. I am so happy to read this post. I am due in five weeks with my first baby and I think about quilting a lot but rarely sit down and make anything now. I have no energy. I am hoping when the baby arrives that during my maternity leave I will have some time for sewing like this, even if just a little. Thanks for the encouraging post! Your little man is adorable!

10. Mary Jo June 19, 2012 at 7:31 pm #

the very best part is that little baby.

11. claudia @ machen und tun June 19, 2012 at 10:52 pm #

you did great on that block, the borders are awesome and really shift it up!!

12. Kelly June 20, 2012 at 5:14 am #

i love that you added borders to it! by the way, we have that same bouncer, and so when cami (my middle one) saw the picture, she said, “is that tucker?” too funny. :)

13. brenda June 20, 2012 at 12:17 pm #

alissa — enjoy your time with gabe! and, i love the borders — i’m just finishing a wonky log cabin for a friend and am going to add borders on just two sides — after seeing your i think i will add a little more color too! thanks again for another inspiration!

14. Jodie June 21, 2012 at 6:12 am #

love it! and congrats! i am 35 weeks… and can’t wait for my body back!! and energy (to sew!!LOL)

15. Heather Mentzer June 22, 2012 at 8:48 pm #

The quilt looks great (and so does your little one). I agree, I think that’s exactly what it needed.

16. Cinzia AlloccaCinzia June 28, 2012 at 12:39 am #

Love what you did. Great call on adding that border to calm things down a bit!

17. Douglas June 29, 2012 at 2:04 pm #

Really beautiful piece y’all have going around :-) Such a big responsibility to add to others’ work; I’d be a nervous wreck! How did you feel the first time you contributed to a traveling quilt?