Here I am!

I’ve been gone a bit, huh? Sorry about that – just lots on my plate these days!

I have managed to get this top finished up. I love it. It might be my favorite quilt that I’ve made. Though that tends to happen with the latest project I’m working on…

IMG_0221

While making everything line up took a lot of attention, the hardest part was trimming the edges on the bias. HARD when you don’t have a large space to lay the quilt out on. My solution was to put it up on my design wall, draw the lines on with chalk and cut the edges with scissors. Not perfect, but I’ll square it up again once it’s quilted!

IMG_0230

Now to think through the quilting… suggestions welcome!

11 Responses to “Here I am!”

1. duff November 13, 2012 at 9:29 am #

wow, the strength of the lines is so graphically amazing and pleasing! I think this quilt could be entirely masculine or feminine depending on color choices–the mark of an extraordinary quilt! How to quilt? Ugh, that’s tough. The first thought that comes to mind is concentric circles emanating from the center becasue that would soften the hard lines, forming a nice dichotomy.

2. ashley November 13, 2012 at 9:39 am #

What a wonderful quilt! Those intersecting lines are so great, though I have no idea how you got them all to line up so perfectly! And I totally hear you about squaring up a quilt with bias edges – I just finished a quilt top this weekend with bias edges and discovered that it’s completely not square – what a drag! I’m no help on quilting ideas, though I’m certain that you’ll rock it!

• Anita November 18, 2012 at 3:59 pm #

Ashley,
      Have you got any sort of fusible lightweight interfacing lying around? Strips of it, fused to the edges along the back of your top should instantly stabilize your top and then you could square up its corners.
      Anita

3. Camilla November 13, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

Stunning! So much room for the eye to move around. I like your straight line quilting in different directions in the spaces made by the pieces.

4. Lora November 13, 2012 at 6:17 pm #

Very striking! I agree with Duff about the circle quilting. I always like the combination of straight lines and curves.

5. Carla November 14, 2012 at 7:51 am #

This is so cool! Looking forward to the quilting ; )

6. cinzia allocca November 16, 2012 at 12:44 pm #

wow! What an ambitious quilt. i don’t know how you managed to line up all those lines.

7. ChristaQuilts November 17, 2012 at 11:42 pm #

Love it – so minimalist yet very graphic. Simple abundance! I love lots of straight line quilting. What about quilting it all with straight lines first in the ditch around all of the shapes, then repeat the shapes by quilting them again in the negative spaces? Or perhaps some kind of grid work? However you do it I’m sure will look awesome!

8. Rach November 19, 2012 at 8:26 pm #

Love it – I though circle quilting too when I looked at it, so pleased to see other comments suggesting that :)

9. Sarah November 20, 2012 at 7:54 am #

awesome…as always!

10. Arita November 24, 2012 at 6:14 pm #

Very cool! Your work is amazing and circle quilting is a good idea.