In a Sea of Blue finished!

Remember this idea? Well I got this commission finished up about a week ago. My first finish of 2013.

In a Sea of Blue

It’s a big queen sized quilt. And look, I’m taking a flat photo of it! Very exciting stuff. This is because for Christmas my husband got me a great photography set up for my big quilts.

In a Sea of Blue

Until the day comes that I have some fabulous enormous studio space where I can shoot my big quilts, this will be my set up! I need to figure out a better clip and hang system than the clothes hangers but I will… and then I’m hoping that I get the gumption to take it different places beyond my sister’s back yard.

Here’s a detail of the quilt after I’d washed it (these first photos are before I washed it) and it got that nice crinkle. I’d say that the colors are truest in this photo.

In a Sea of Blue detail

The orange is Kona flame and boy is it bright! But in this sea of blue it works. I was thinking about using negative space differently in this quilt… sorta like I pieced it with all of the blue. I know it doesn’t really read that way, but it’s an idea I hope that I find more time time to explore in the future!

28 Responses to “In a Sea of Blue finished!”

1. Nell January 16, 2013 at 9:01 am #

This is truly beautiful! You’re inspirational. Thank you for sharing your work! I don’t frequently comment, but want you to know you have lots of silent fans out there :)

2. Jan January 16, 2013 at 9:31 am #

Your quilt is outstanding. I’m sure the people who ordered it will be thrilled with it.

3. Joan January 16, 2013 at 10:10 am #

Hi Alissa,
    Great quilt love the colors! You can get drapery rings with these little clips hanging from them to use on your quilt stand. If you can find black ones to match the stand they will be almost invisible when you take pictures. You can also make hanging sleeves for the back of your quilt either sew on by hand or pinned on then removed afterward.

• Alissa January 16, 2013 at 10:56 am #

Oh such a great idea Joan – thank you! And yeah, I had thought of a sleeve too but I’m kinda lazy about makin’ those. Ha!

• Ramona January 16, 2013 at 11:14 am #

I was going to suggest the same thing. IKEA has some I really like. Beautiful quilt. Love the colors.

4. Alison January 16, 2013 at 10:18 am #

I looooooove this quilt. It is so complex in its simplicity which I know doesn’t make sense but it does to me!

5. Cheryl Arkison January 16, 2013 at 10:43 am #

Nicely done.

6. cindi January 16, 2013 at 10:54 am #

love that quilt. and aren’t you the lucky one with such a thoughtful husband, or is he tired of being the “official” guilt holder for pics like mine? lol some of those great little clip on curtain rings would be perfect for hanging your quilts. ikea has some really nice ones.

7. Jenny January 16, 2013 at 11:26 am #

Gorgeous!!

8. Felice January 16, 2013 at 12:08 pm #

Love it!

9. Debbie-Esch House Quilts January 16, 2013 at 12:29 pm #

Beautiful quilt! I second the drapery ring suggestion and also the hanging sleeve idea. I have a few hanging sleeves in typical quilt widths and I just pin them to the back of the quilt for the photo. Sometimes I pin one to the bottom too (and put a rod in it) if the quilt doesn’t want to hang straight :)

10. tracy_a January 16, 2013 at 2:01 pm #

stunning colors and arrangement. And the quilting works so well here. Tanks for sharing!

11. tracy_a January 16, 2013 at 2:03 pm #

Um, thanks for sharing. Sorry about the typo!

12. Anne January 16, 2013 at 2:06 pm #

Wowza, that’s a stunner of a quilt! It came out beautifully! I use those same hangers, although I hang it on our back fence, so I’m enjoying reading the other ideas people have come up with. :D

13. QuiltNut Creations January 16, 2013 at 5:06 pm #

Beautiful!! I love the pop of the orange.

14. Lauren aka Giddy99 January 16, 2013 at 5:18 pm #

It’s GLORIOUS; I love it!!!

15. Caryn January 16, 2013 at 10:53 pm #

I fell in love with blue, orange and gold this Fall after I snuck
    in some tree shots while taking kid pictures. I had a hard time finding the blues I was after and really love the ones you used her. I really like your placement of the orange blocks, but also love the purply brown blocks and how they pull your eye through the quilt. There is a restraint here that I find soothing. I hope to learn more about wiling with limited color palettes. Thanks for sharing your process!

16. Byrd January 17, 2013 at 6:32 am #

Love those crinkle! I think that is a huge part of what makes a quilt a quilt. Beautiful work. Take care, Byrd

17. June January 17, 2013 at 8:46 am #

Hello,

Alissa, just wondering how you get that lovely hand quilted look? Your quilt is beautiful.

June

• Alissa January 17, 2013 at 11:01 am #

Hi June! Thanks for your kind words about my quilt. When I machine quilt straight lines I always set my stitch length to longer than the standard setting. I think this kind of “chunky” stitch look is more attractive and maybe lends itself to the hand quilted look you mention?

18. Maureen from Ventura January 17, 2013 at 9:17 pm #

Beautiful quilt! Love everything about it! It’s a great photography set up too.

19. Elisabeth DeMoo January 18, 2013 at 7:11 am #

The sight color variations in the blues remind me of a paint swatch. I just love the pops of color with the orange. A great impression of fish in the sea.

20. Kate January 23, 2013 at 2:47 pm #

I think I got my drapery clips at Joann’s…if not there, then Bed, Bath & Beyond. They work like a charm!

21. Brigit January 24, 2013 at 7:10 am #

Thank you for sharing this beautiful quilt. The palette is gorgeous, and it is wonderfully crafted. Are the fabrics entirely solids? It looks like the teal might have a subtle pattern?

• Alissa January 25, 2013 at 8:55 am #

Hi Brigit! Thanks so much and yes, they are are all solids. One of the blues is a Moda Crossweave (Blue Blue) and it has some texture in it that you’re seeing.

22. rbjaneite February 26, 2013 at 3:11 am #

It’s lovely! There’s a big aquarium fish tank thing in the reception of a fancy new office near my church, and I love walking past and seeing the water with the brightly coloured fish – it’s definitely an inspiring colour palette!

You could also use big bulldog clips along the top of your quilt, and attach them to the frame by threading a long ribbon through each clip and over the rod in turn. It would be fun choosing coordinating ribbon colours!

23. Kayla February 27, 2013 at 5:33 pm #

I am a beginner with quilting! I am curious on how you do the finishing stitch across the entire quilt. I do not have a long arm machine and I am trying to figure out what to do about the finishing part!!
    You quilts are gorgeous and I can’t wait to try some of my own versions!!

• Alissa March 3, 2013 at 7:35 pm #

Hi Kayla! You can definitely quilt on your home machine. There are loads of places to find tutorials on how to go about it. Just dive in and give it a shot!