Modern Solids – coming up with the colors!

You guys, I finally got my fabrics IN MY HANDS! For those of you wondering, they will be in shops in December and shops can currently buy them from In the Beginning. These solids are crossweaves, so they have a lovely texture and depth to them.

IMG_1871

They are so pretty that I’m downright thrilled. These are all of the colors, plus the two grays on the bottom.  I thought that I’d post a little about my process of coming up with the colors.

When I first spoke with In the Beginning about me releasing another line of colors with their Modern Solids, they told me about the process. The terrifying part of it is that since it’s a crossweave  fabric (that’s not printed on) there’s no test runs! You have to get the mill the colors of the two threads, they weave them and that’s that! There’s your fabric. No changes or tweaks allowed! Needless to say, when I opened up that box of fabrics, I was SO happy that I like them all.

So first up, I needed to decide on 20 colors… I spent a lot of time pulling fabrics and hitting up home depot for some paint chips!

IMG_6662

Since the fabrics are cross weaves – the goal was to pick the two different colors of the threads that would add up to the desired finished color of the fabric.

IMG_6664

First I settled on the finished colors that I wanted and then I slowly put together the two colors that would lead to it.

IMG_6690

I put them all together and popped the little packet of colors in the mail!

IMG_6763

You’ll noticed a decided lack of purple. Yeah. I’m not so big on purple. I was understandably asked to add a couple so that was done and then the mill mailed us the threads.

IMG_1442

They sent two shades of each color, so the vibrant ones were selected and off they went to weave ‘em!! I held my breath for a couple of months while waiting and now that I have actually seen them and felt them, they are beeeeeautiful!!

IMG_1882

Seriously. I’m not just saying this because I work with In the Beginning now… these fabrics are wonderful to work with. The drape and hand… the nice crisp flat press… and they cut so smoothly. They are just really lovely fabrics…

IMG_1912_2

I definitely picked my favorite colors, but I also did my best to pick colors that I think will really appeal to the modern quilter. I hope you like them too!

24 Responses to “Modern Solids – coming up with the colors!”

1. Lisa E October 10, 2013 at 1:29 pm #

Wow, gorgeous colors! Thank you for telling us how you did it. Very interesting. I definitely will check them out when they arrive at the stores.

2. Andres October 10, 2013 at 3:50 pm #

beautiful!

3. Jenni October 10, 2013 at 6:22 pm #

Congratulations, Alissa! This fabric is gorgeous!

4. patsy October 10, 2013 at 7:04 pm #

Congratulations! You know me and color – already have a vision of a quilt in my head. How do I get my hot little hands on them?

5. Christine Slaughter October 10, 2013 at 7:55 pm #

So gorgeous!! I can’t wait to get my hands on them!

6. Debbie M October 10, 2013 at 8:42 pm #

Congratulations, Alissa! You are definitely my kind of color person. I love the combinations you chose and I really appreciate knowing the process. Thanks for taking the time to show and tell us. Can’t wait until these are available to us who can only buy retail. BTW, I really don’t like purple (or pink), too!

7. Tamie October 10, 2013 at 8:51 pm #

I want a bundle… Really.

8. Christa Quilts October 10, 2013 at 9:11 pm #

These are fantastic. I’m a big time solids lover :-)

9. Katelyn October 10, 2013 at 9:19 pm #

LOVE these colors! Can’t wait to see them in person!!

10. krista October 10, 2013 at 9:28 pm #

These are lovely Alissa, and it’s fun to see how they come about! As you know, I’m a huge crossweave lover and I will definitely need to get a stack of these to work with!

11. Charlotte October 11, 2013 at 12:28 am #

ohhhhhhhh!!!! So beautiful! Thanks for sharing the process- that’s really interesting :-)

• Ruthann October 11, 2013 at 4:49 am #

Beautiful colors! The texture reminds me of the two tone cottons I saw in India. They were beautiful fabrics but too delicate for quilting. Will be excited to see these in my local quilt shop.

12. Melanie October 11, 2013 at 4:47 am #

So so so so so pretty. I want to pet them.

13. chris October 11, 2013 at 8:34 am #

congrats on the fabric line, the colors look gorgeous. can’t wait to get my hands on a stack of these!

14. Sherri Lynn Wood October 11, 2013 at 9:43 am #

Fantastic! I really enjoyed reading about your process, and how exciting it must have been to see them finally finished without knowing for sure what they would look light. Congratulations.

15. Elsie Montgomery October 11, 2013 at 10:41 am #

All I can say is YUM!

16. Lisa October 13, 2013 at 7:07 am #

Oy!! Those are gorgeous. I need them NOW.

17. Mary October 14, 2013 at 7:58 pm #

Beautiful colors, and I’m sure in person the crossweave makes them even better.

And the purples you chose to add are great purples. I’m not a purple person myself either, but I love that they are more indigo and mauve.

I can’t wait to get my hands on these for an all solids quilt.

18. Brigit October 16, 2013 at 8:11 am #

Oh my these are lovely–I’m with you on purple! It’s a tough color to use. It was really interesting to learn about the crossweave process–thanks for sharing. I can’t wait until these are available since I am pretty much an all solids quilter!

19. Jennifer October 16, 2013 at 12:28 pm #

They are beautiful. Congratulations!

20. Leanne October 18, 2013 at 6:03 pm #

Interesting process, I wonder if you could have got them to send you much longer cuts of the colours so that you could test weave them together – long before I learned to quilt, I was a bit of a weaver.

21. Linda H. October 20, 2013 at 10:56 am #

They’re truly lovely, Alissa! After learning about the tedious process you went through, I think you’ve come up with a great combination of colors… even if you had to add purple! Ha! All my best for a wildly successful selling experience.

22. Jolie November 10, 2013 at 6:09 pm #

Gah…I am getting so impatient waiting for these beauties to be available for ordering!!! (oh, and they come inbued with your talent that naturally just rubs off on me, right?)

23. Rachaeldaisy December 18, 2013 at 12:35 pm #

You did such a great job picking the right colours, they’re all wonderful!! I love the way the cross weave adds a depth to the colour too.