Pink Greater Than

Finished up a little baby girl quilt!  Named it Pink Less Greater Than (my math memory is definitely less than great and I got it backwards! Name adjusted!) because it looks kinda like a greater than symbol.

Pink Less Than

I made this block…

SMS Modern BOM - October

…for my Modern Block of the Month awhile back and I wanted to make a whole quilt version. I foresee more exploration of this design in the future.

I had fun with the quilting on this one.

IMG_9747

I echoed the piecing with straight lines in gray and then I filled in the piecing with vertical straight lines in pink.

IMG_9754

I was happy with how it came out!

—–

All 12 blocks from the Sew, Mama, Sew! Modern Block of the MonthAnd speaking of my Modern Block of the Month, I’m going to be teaching all 12 blocks over the course of a year at Sew Modern! Every second Saturday of the month, from 2pm to 5pm.

You can either sign up for the whole year, or just one month at a time!

20 Responses to “Pink Greater Than”

1. January Turner September 10, 2012 at 9:10 am #

I love it!! This was one of my favorite blocks of the year. I wish we had another BOM to start wink wink :)
    I hope all is well and your sweet baby is doing great!!

2. Liz September 10, 2012 at 10:15 am #

Hi Alissa! Unless it’s upside down, I think it’s Pink Greater Than!
    Love it, either way!

• Alissa September 10, 2012 at 10:19 am #

Ha! My lack of math memory is showing!! You’re right Liz – off to change the name!!

3. Abi Beaty September 10, 2012 at 10:50 am #

Super love it!

4. cinzia allocca September 10, 2012 at 11:15 am #

great quilt! you have a way with filling that negative space with great quilting. love the name too.

5. chris September 10, 2012 at 1:30 pm #

beautiful!

6. Robyn Kirk September 10, 2012 at 1:51 pm #

What a wonderful girls quilt for a modern miss. I think its wonderful!

Cheers from
    New Zealand

7. Anne September 10, 2012 at 1:56 pm #

Love it! So simple and so sweet. Just curious if you stop and start each line when you filled in the straight line quilting in the pink? If so how do you stop and start? I’m never very satisfied with how it looks but to stop and pivot all the time is not easy with bigger quilts.

• Alissa September 10, 2012 at 3:31 pm #

Hi Anne! I do stop and start. I sew a locking stitch anywhere I’m stopping and then I move on to the starting point, sew a locking stitch and keep quilting. From there, you can either trim your running threads (the faster, not as pretty way to do it) or you can take the time to bury your threads. Having that locking stitch on my machine makes it so that I don’t have to back stitch, which can look a little bit sloppier but has the same effect. Hope that helps!

8. Katie September 10, 2012 at 2:21 pm #

LOVE this! Your quilts are always so inspiring!!

9. Jeifner September 10, 2012 at 6:23 pm #

Greater Than is so clean and graphic and still girly. That quilting is just gorgeous. Always did like your mod blocks of the month and the colors you used.

10. Ali M September 10, 2012 at 7:47 pm #

That is very pretty! I love the shades you chose for it.

11. Cheryl Arkison September 10, 2012 at 10:08 pm #

Ooh, lucky baby girl…

12. QuiltNut Creations September 10, 2012 at 11:19 pm #

Absolutely love it. The quilting couldn’t be more perfect. And the pop of pink?? Love!

13. Kelly September 11, 2012 at 5:44 am #

oh, i am so digging that quilting, and how it looks on the back!

14. Elsie Montgomery September 11, 2012 at 9:49 am #

You have made another super quilt! I’m impressed and love the quilting on this one too!

15. Robin September 14, 2012 at 10:22 pm #

Wow, this is gorgeous. I love the simplicity of it, and the quilting adds so much!

16. Connie in California September 15, 2012 at 7:03 am #

Hi Alissa! What a great quilt!! Love it.

17. Rah September 22, 2012 at 5:22 am #

I’m a little late reading this, but just had to say I LOVE the Modern BOM block you feature.

18. donna November 14, 2012 at 9:14 am #

Love the quilt! And I am actually so glad that it is a greater than and not a less than! Especially with the pink. Has a deeper meaning if you get my drift! There is more than our share of “less than”s in the world. Well done!