Progress and a new project!

I’ve decided that the winter-y blocks I started a bit ago will make up the quilt that will be my project for Project Improv. Progress is being made!

My Project Improv Quilt

All of the blocks were improvisationally pieced and I love the process.  I’m pretty sure I’m going to make this into a king sized quilt so there’s still a bunch of blocks to go… Anyone ever quilted a king in their sewing machine?? I’m sure it’s going to be an adventure.  I’ve managed a queen, so but this one will be even bigger…

After framing all the blocks in white, the resulting pile of scraps

White Scraps

got me thinking about this quilt. Perhaps a way to use them up?

I’m also all done with a pretty quilt top for a commissioned baby quilt.

Blue&Green&Yellow

I do enjoy the challenge of working with a requested color scheme. My “go to” colors are always orange and pink so it’s fun stretch myself when I have to stay away from them.

Blue&Green&Yellow Detail

What colors do you find yourself always turning to?

25 Responses to “Progress and a new project!”

1. Jackie January 18, 2009 at 6:51 pm #

I am also drawn to the hot colors…. hot pink, orange, yellow. Blues are definitely not my color scheme. However I love the baby quilt you are working on. And your project improve is great!

2. Taylor January 18, 2009 at 7:00 pm #

Beautiful quilt tops!!

I find myself coming back to pink over and over. It doesn’t matter the shade. I am starting to find new love for aqua, though.

3. Ariane January 18, 2009 at 7:59 pm #

I am always drawn to pink. I have been working with a whole bunch of new colors lately that I never really looked at before, it’s been fun.

4. MichelleB January 18, 2009 at 8:25 pm #

I love both tops!

I’m not sure that I gravitate toward a specific colors. I think my quilts are all over the place. I know that I used to stay away from blues, but more recently have found some lovely blues that I really want to use.

5. Edith January 18, 2009 at 8:33 pm #

I also end up with a lot of orange and pink which often seems to bleed into rust colored. Once I’ve finished the couple projects I’m working on, I’m going to try to stretch out a bit.

6. Amy @ parkcitygirl January 18, 2009 at 9:00 pm #

I love both your tops! I haven’t done anything King size – you will have to let us know how it goes :)

7. Shannon January 18, 2009 at 9:06 pm #

I did quilt a king sized quilt once on my old tiny machine (I think the arm was 5″), but I mostly did strait stitching for that because turning it was such a pain.

8. Andi January 18, 2009 at 9:22 pm #

Gorgeous projects. I also come back to the warm colours all the time.
    Good luck with the HUGE quilting project.
    Andi :-)

9. Janis January 19, 2009 at 5:29 am #

King size – you are brave! But very capable too and I can’t wait to see it finished.

I love pink/orange/yellow also blue/green. Red takes a long time – it makes me think; I can’t do purple at all.

10. Ashley January 19, 2009 at 5:59 am #

Both tops are wonderful! I really love the colors of the baby quilt – the blues, greens and that bit of yellow are so perfect together.
    You’ll have to let me know how the quilting goes on the king sized quilt – I’m still nervous about quilting the one I have which is a small queen…

11. Robin (rsislandcrafts) January 19, 2009 at 6:13 am #

I love the brightness of the baby quilt!

I don’t gravitate toward any specific colors…yet. I’m sure the more I quilt, I will find myself going toward a certain color or two.

12. Kat January 19, 2009 at 7:00 am #

I can’t seem to stay away from the blues and greens. I’m also into under-dyed and subdued shades right now. I’m kinda in love with pop garden though, so that’s out of my comfort zone. Lots of red! I’m a bit at a loss what to do with it though.

13. amandajean January 19, 2009 at 7:11 am #

your quilts both look great!!! i tend to default to pink and green. and for some reason blue and green seem to be stuck in my mind lately.

14. Cami January 19, 2009 at 7:32 am #

i love the block with the red fabric and the green printed leaves. Super cute!

15. Carrie January 19, 2009 at 7:32 am #

That is going to make a great bed quilt. And the baby quilt is cute too. I love orange these days too.

16. Sarah January 19, 2009 at 7:43 am #

i love both tops too! i always gravitate toward greens or blues…i’m trying to go a little more girly this year though.

17. Stefanie January 19, 2009 at 8:43 am #

Hello! I know that it has been awhile! I love your quilt! Yellow and Blue are MY “go to” colors! I use them to decorate my house also…but I might have to branch out and use some of your colors!

18. Kerri January 19, 2009 at 9:07 am #

i love them both!! the aqua, yellow and greens look lovely together!

19. pricklypearbloom January 19, 2009 at 11:53 am #

I am totally an orange girl, through and through. I’ve been trying to find ways to work outside the box, colorwise, though. I painted a wall in my guest room green this weekend! That’s different!

20. Sara January 19, 2009 at 3:19 pm #

Both of the quilt tops are terrific! I have the tidbits quilt (idea for your light scraps) on my list of ‘must do’ projects.
    Right now I lean towards pinks, aqua and brown. I do like repro fabrics (1920′s-1970′s).

21. nettie January 19, 2009 at 7:19 pm #

I love your commissioned piece…not colors I normally use either, but they are indeed lovely.

I too have the snippets quilt on my to do list.

oh, and last but not least, your quilt for project improv is awesome. I haven’t ever machine quilted a queen or a king, but I bet you could manage it. What machine do you use, I am thinking of making a queen size, but am a little scared.

22. cathleen January 20, 2009 at 8:20 am #

Pink…I always reach for pink! Beautiful quilts…that baby quilt is breathtaking.

23. jacquie January 20, 2009 at 8:55 am #

i saw your improv quilt on flickr…stunning! i have so much trouble with bulk when quilting on my machine. i can’t imagine a king. love the baby quilt too!

24. Abby January 20, 2009 at 11:55 am #

I love, love, love this quilt! Oh thank you so much for sharing! How wide are the strips of scrap that you used in this quilt? How lovely!

Abby

25. Darci January 22, 2009 at 8:28 am #

Green!! I always buy tons of it and that is what I am drawn to.