Queen Baby Quilt

Sometimes friends having a baby have a great last name (Queen in this case) and you just gotta use it when naming the quilt! Well, that and the fact that I’m the absolute worst at coming up with quilt names and there you have it… The Queen Baby Quilt!

Queen Baby Quilt

I loved the central gray sorta plus sign created in this quilt, and was doing that that again here. I was also exploring intentionally ever so slightly wavy seams. Not just cutting with no ruler, but also cutting both pieces of fabric at the same time (overlapping them a bit) before sewing them together. Fun stuff and something I’m gonna do more of. It’s a subtle difference, but it does effect your “wonky” look and I’m ever continuing to explore that… It’s endless that wonk exploration, isn’t it??

Queen Baby Quilt Detail

I did dense straight line quilting (yes, I’m stuck there right now) but I tried to mix it up a bit by outlining the blocks and then echoing that outline. And I filled in the blocks themselves with the wavy watery pattern I just did on my mother’s quilt. I will be handing this quilt off to its new lil’ baby owner on Saturday and I hope he loves and cuddles with it for years.

I’m headed to NYC for Fashion Week for all of 36 hours tomorrow. And in other exciting news, I found out that I’m going to the Emmys this year! Fun!! Project Runway is nominated and my fingers are seriously crossed that it’ll win. My outfit is 90% sorted out. Now I just need to get used to walking around in my new super high stilettos…

26 Responses to “Queen Baby Quilt”

1. nicke September 7, 2011 at 8:39 am #

wow! beautiful! the quilting makes is awesome quilt amazing!

2. Amy September 7, 2011 at 8:49 am #

Your quilt is really cute :) Dont’ worry about being stuck on straight line quilting. It is a good place to be :)I think it is perfect for this quilt because it echoes the line of the blocks.

Congratulations on going to the emmys!!! And fashion week! You are one lucky lady :) Project runway is the one show that my mom and I never miss. It has everything you can want: drama, competition, and beautiful fabric! It is really inspirational. Thanks for making such a fantastic show.

3. Rhonda September 7, 2011 at 9:26 am #

Beautiful! I’m stuck on straight line quilting as well; I just love the look it brings to quilts.

4. Alli September 7, 2011 at 9:53 am #

Your quilting looks fantastic!

5. Jess September 7, 2011 at 11:03 am #

Love the finished product! I have always wanted to try quilting a quilt entirely with lines like that!

6. Cille September 7, 2011 at 11:16 am #

It looks really good – love the quilting as well as the blocks.

7. Jenny September 7, 2011 at 11:29 am #

MY seams are ever so slightly wavy! I am so excited that I’m current — right on trend!!

8. brandeye September 7, 2011 at 12:12 pm #

i love the quilting of this! great job.

9. Adrianne (Little Bluebell) September 7, 2011 at 12:31 pm #

This is so great. I love your sense of play and exploration!!! : )

• Krista - Poppyprint September 7, 2011 at 1:30 pm #

I was trying to figure out what gargantuan baby would need a queen sized quilt! Have fun at fashion week – that will be intense. Post please!!!

10. Heather September 7, 2011 at 2:22 pm #

This is so lovely. Love the gray with the green binding.

11. Vicki W September 7, 2011 at 3:59 pm #

I love the quilting you did on this!

12. Theresa September 7, 2011 at 4:39 pm #

This quilt is divine. No other word for it….divine, divine, divine!

13. Heather September 7, 2011 at 6:01 pm #

I love this quilt, and I especially love your quilting. I’m a big fan of the straight line quilting too!

Have fun in NYC and I can’t wait to hear all about the adventures you’ll have at the Emmy’s. Fingers crossed for a win!!!

14. sew katie did September 7, 2011 at 8:17 pm #

awesome! the quilt AND the emmys!!!!

15. CitricSugar September 7, 2011 at 9:04 pm #

Love the quilting! Though I admit, it makes me feel a little lazy. The actual quilting part is my least favourite part of the process (partly due to a less than stellar machine) as I get impatient to be finished and to get to the quiet of hand-binding and the warmth of a fresh-from-the-dryer quilt.

16. Debbie-Esch House Quilts September 8, 2011 at 5:32 am #

LOVE the angle changes in your straight line quilting! Congrats on Fashion Week and the Emmys – wow!

17. Helen in Switzerland September 8, 2011 at 7:07 am #

LOVE the quilt…..and sigh….what a life you lead!

18. Rachel at Stitched in Color September 8, 2011 at 7:27 pm #

Oh, Congratulations on the Emmys. What a big, big deal!

19. karen September 8, 2011 at 7:51 pm #

Love the quilt! The straight lines are great-not a bad thing to be into…. Congrats on the nomination and your invite. Exciting!!

20. amandajean September 9, 2011 at 2:28 pm #

your quilt is awesome, Alissa! As always! I have a question for you. HOw do you avoid distortion when doing all that straight line quilting? My fabric seems to distort way too quickly and easily. any tips?

• Alissa September 10, 2011 at 7:00 pm #

Hey Amanda Jean! For me the key was that with my Janome Horizon I’m able to adjust the presser foot pressure. I literally turn it to zero when I straight line quilt and this way the top fabric isn’t being pushed down as much as I sew. It’s made a HUGE difference – on my old machine I couldn’t handle how much dense straight line quilting pushed my fabric… I know that Jacquie alternates the direction she sews her lines in and that could help too maybe?

21. Pippa September 10, 2011 at 4:07 pm #

WOW the Emmy’s– amazing! And of course, beautiful beautiful quilt ;) Love the quilting.

22. Lauren September 15, 2011 at 8:33 am #

Wow! Beautiful! I’d love to know more about how you did the quilting.

23. Kit Lang September 27, 2011 at 5:44 pm #

Wow – beautifully designed quilt and I LOVEEEEEEE the quilting!

24. Becky Mitchell October 16, 2011 at 5:50 pm #

I love the name of this quilt!! My maiden name is Queen!! A beautiful quilt also!!