Some patio fancy-ing

My twin sister, Cate, recently bought a very cute house about a mile away from me in the Los Angeles neighborhood of Silver Lake.

The house was built in 1926, and she is the second owner.  Needless to say, that doesn’t happen often in Los Angeles!

Renovations and improvements are under way and I’ve been assigned all sewing duties!  I’ll be making some curtains and throw pillows, but the biggest task is making a huge cushion to have on a built in bench that’s on the back patio.

I’m going to put this tutorial to the test, as the cushion will measure almost 9.5 feet by 3 feet!   I’m going to use this fabric – does anyone know who makes/designs it?  There’s nothing printed on the slevedge and I called the store where I bought it (Michael Levine’s in downtown Los Angeles) and they said that the tube didn’t have the info either… I’ll need to head down there again soon, so I’ll double check that, but meanwhile, anyone recognize it?  It also comes in an orange and yellow colorway, it’s 54″ wide and it’s got a canvas-y feel to it.  It’s truly beautiful!

Mystery Fabric

6 Responses to “Some patio fancy-ing”

1. jacquie September 7, 2008 at 3:56 pm #

sorry no help here, but i’m with you…this is gorgeous.

2. Carrie/Two Dogs and a Quilt September 7, 2008 at 4:02 pm #

That’ll be a fun project. With fabric that pretty, it’s sure to be a success.

3. amandajean September 8, 2008 at 5:25 am #

you have a twin? how cool is that?

have fun sewing the cushion. and the other projects, too.

4. Sarah September 8, 2008 at 7:29 am #

It is beautiful! Can’t wait to see the finished cushion and all of the other things you make for her house!

5. Carol September 8, 2008 at 1:58 pm #

Likewise, I can’t help you with that but it is a beautiful piece of fabric. Is your sisters house near the reservoir? I use to live up there many years ago and also in Echo Park. Back when Echo Park was beautiful and we could ride in the boats out on the lake.

6. Patty September 8, 2008 at 5:01 pm #

Hi,

I wanted to offer a few suggestions on your cushion project. I have made a few cushions in the past and this is what I have found to help:

I have found it is easier to make 2 or 3 smaller cushions than one large cushion. Not only is it more convenient when sewing, but the cushions will be a lot easier to store away.

If you are afraid of not having enough fabric for your project try using a solid coordinating fabric on the underside.

Cushions being used outdoors will last longer if you use ethafoam instead of foam rubber. If you are not able to find ethafoam then putting small grommets on the sides of the cushion will help if the cushion gets wet.

Be sure to use heavy thread, normal sewing thread will not last outdoors; a polyester thread works best.

Good luck with all your sewing.

P.S. I have really enjoyed looking at your quilt projects!