Weekend blocks

This weekend I made a bunch of blocks that are headed off to different homes.

First, April’s blocks for Block PartyMegan sent the fabric this month and man, she’s got some good taste!  A couple of the fabrics are on their way to me now… couldn’t resist buying some after seeing them in person.

Block Party - April

I love this little owl on the left. He’s just so pissed off. Cracks me up every time I look at him.

Block Party - April detail

And I was a little late to the party, but I’m officially in love with with Wonderland by MoMo. So many cute print in the line. A bit ended up in the center of this second block:

Block Party - April detail 2

I also got a couple more blocks done for Jacquie and Project Improv so that she has an even number to get more quilt tops finished up.  Orange & pink – can’t go wrong!

Blocks for Jacquie

And lastly – my block for April of Sew Connected 2.  I started with inspiration from Amanda Jean‘s tutorial on zig zags with no triangles and just sorta added on from there!

SewConnected - April

Sure is fun to try new things on individual blocks!

SewConnected - April - Detail

Now that these are all done, maybe I can get some work done on a quilt.  This whole having a job thing sure does cut into the sewing time!

21 Responses to “Weekend blocks”

1. LIfe a Colorful Life April 27, 2009 at 6:52 am #

You are so right–can’t go wrong with pink and orange. Those blocks are great! Talk about beign late to the party–I keep seeing so many fabrics in your block that I wish I had purchased–but didn’t. Like the pink/green rings. *sigh* And I’m definitely trying the zigzag block! Still trying to figure out how to keep my job, not have to actually do my job, but still get the money. I’ll let you know if I come up with anything…

2. Ashley April 27, 2009 at 6:56 am #

Great blocks! I especially love the baby zig zags – so cute!

3. nichole April 27, 2009 at 7:01 am #

that angry owl makes me crack up too. lol

4. Sarah April 27, 2009 at 7:39 am #

The first two blocks are my fav! So pretty!

5. Casey April 27, 2009 at 8:00 am #

I love the blocks! all the fabrics are pretty

6. Sarah April 27, 2009 at 8:05 am #

yes! i did mine this weekend too and i think they look similar…glad i’m on the right track!

7. Chris Warnick April 27, 2009 at 9:10 am #

Great blocks! I agree that those fabrics are wonderful. Your blocks are so flat and well-pressed. What’s your secret? Do you use starch or Best Press? Any tips you’d care to share to get that great flat finish? Thanks!

• Alissa April 27, 2009 at 3:13 pm #

Hi Chris!

Thanks! I don’t use any starch or Best Press, I just love love love a nice steam iron. It does the trick for me!

8. Amber April 27, 2009 at 10:00 am #

They are all fabulous! I bought some Wonderland too but haven’t cut into it yet. Love the zigzags!

9. wendy April 27, 2009 at 10:55 am #

I LOVE all of these blocks! I love all the fabrics. I really love the snakes in the cabin block. Kind of like Snakes on a Plane, but totally different.

10. willy-nilly April 27, 2009 at 2:48 pm #

I love the little owl on the side. I’m doing a whole “Flock” quilt and that fabric is sure to make it in!

11. Amy (badskirt) April 27, 2009 at 3:14 pm #

I love the Block Party blocks. Absolutely terrific and I’m a big fan of grumpy owl. I’ve used him on a few brooches and magnets. I’ve nicknamed him groochy.

My favourite thing about your block party blocks is how you used the owls as accents in the stripes on the Wonderland flower block instead of plugging them straight into the center. Very creative. I also like the Flights of Fancy cobblestone framing to one side on that block.

You’ve got a great sense of balance and colour. I love watching your blocks and others in the Block Party flickr group!

Amy

12. Lee-Anne Gilbert April 27, 2009 at 3:18 pm #

Heh heh, your owl comment cracked me up… he does look a little pissed!! Great blocks Alissa… Lx

13. Jackie April 27, 2009 at 3:37 pm #

Love all the blocks! Very crisp, clean colors and patterns.

14. Angie April 27, 2009 at 4:25 pm #

Wow, they are all so great! Love the owls too :-)

15. anina April 28, 2009 at 6:18 am #

They’re all cute but I LOVE the little zig-zags!

16. katie April 28, 2009 at 9:02 am #

i always love your quilts and blocks. the one with the zig-zag is brillant! i am finishing up a quilt now, but after that i am cutting into that fabric you sent. i think it is perfect for a stacked coins picnic quilt!

17. Katy April 28, 2009 at 5:46 pm #

Love your blocks – also your comment about the Angry owl made me crack up :-) Thanks for the chuckle..

18. jacquie April 28, 2009 at 6:00 pm #

great blocks….i need to get on those quilting bee blocks…i have two sets of fabric sitting in front of me. did you order the paula prass cobblestones by any chance…i did. i saw those in her set of fabric and had to have them in all three colorways. like i needed more fabric. thanks so much for making the pi blocks. they’re great. can’t wait to get those last three tops put together.

19. Liz Thomson April 28, 2009 at 8:54 pm #

New to your blog,love your latest entry!
    I am too a huge fan of your grumpy owl what fabric range/who is he from?
    Many thanks Liz (Melbourne Australia)

20. amandajean May 1, 2009 at 12:38 pm #

i think i need to get some wonderland fabric. it’s so fun! i love your blocks. and thanks for the link. :)